When I was asked to write a feature about dust mites, I will admit that the thought that most of us are innocently sleeping away 1/3 of our lives while surrounded by millions of these barely perceptible creatures was kind of creepy. What’s going on here?
Dust mites, apparently (or not so apparently!) are tiny, microscopic bugs that thrive in warm, soft, moist environments. They feed on the dead skin cells we regularly shed without noticing. Our exfoliated cells are found on fluffy couches with happy children ensconced reading books, on rugs where we regularly place our babies, and on beds with sleeping, perspiring humans in them.
A typical mattress, pillow or carpet can contain millions of them!
Though the thought of sharing our space with so many hidden bugs makes most people squirm with disgust and discomfort, (especially if you look at photos of them) they don’t actually carry diseases, they don’t bite, they are generally harmless and their presence usually goes completely unnoticed.
Unless you suffer from allergies.
If you are one of the many vulnerable children, middle aged or elderly that suffer from allergies or asthma, dust mites are a big cause for concern. According to Darryl C. Zeldin, acting director of the National Institute of Environmental Health Services, 18 to 30 % of Americans are allergic to dust mite excrement, and almost 50 % of homes have allergen levels so high that people who are not genetically predisposed to dust mite allergies can become allergic.
It is estimated that dust mites may exacerbate suffering in 50 to 80 % of asthmatics, causing more asthma attacks and difficulty breathing. They can trigger other challenging allergic reactions like, infantile eczema, itchy skin, hay fever, sneezing, runny nose, congestion, itchy, red or watery eyes, itchy nose, roof of mouth or throat, postnasal drip, coughing and wheezing, waking up at night, swollen, blue-colored skin under your eyes. Some people will develop a red rash around the neck. Other distressing allergy symptoms include headaches, fatigue and depression.
It is the protein produced in the digestive juices within the mite’s tiny gut that trigger these responses. Children exposed to them during the first years of life can develop lifelong allergies.
If you notice any of these symptoms, an allergist can confirm whether they are caused by dust mites. Once that is determined, you can go into combat mode.
Currently there is no “cure” for dust mites. There are no drugs or pesticides that are safe or useful to use. Allergy doctors tell us, "get rid of the dust mites from your room and you will reduce or eliminate the allergy or asthma, without the need for medication!"
The only battle strategy to reduce suffering is preventative. Especially now, during the wet winter months, we tend to keep our windows shut. Poor ventilation, high temperature house heating and high humidity increases the concentration of dust mites; and then their associated excrement multiplies exponentially.
Though Israel’s usual dry climate is preferable for asthmatics and allergy sufferers, half a million Israeli’s are registered as suffering from allergy and respiratory disorders caused by dust mites. Many more suffer without knowing the cause.
The dried dust mite feces becomes airborne when someone walks over a rug, sits down in a chair, or shakes the bed sheets, pillows and pajamas, making allergic person's symptoms worse.
Recommendations for reducing dust mite population focus on “dust control.”
One recommended tip is to enclose each bed and crib mattress in your household with a sealant plastic cover. However, after each mattress, pillow and blanket has been specially fitted with a high quality, expensive cover, the effectiveness lasts only as long as the zipper or the material itself is not ripped.
Enter into the picture one of the most effective tools for eliminating the dust mite scourge: the Raycop. Before each bed is covered, it must be vacuumed. And if you use a Raycop vacuum, you won’t need the covers!
- Raycop is a specially designed vacuum cleaner, created by an American medical doctor, for use in dust mite control. It features:
- A powerful Phillips UVC sterilizing lamp which kills 99.9% dust mites, bacteria and viruses in seconds
- a Micro Allergy medical filter that elminates more than 97 % of remnants as small as 0.3µm
- It has a pre-filter that traps larger particles and keeps them from clogging the medical HEPA (High Efficiency Particulate Air) filter.
- The HEPA filter is located behind the motor to insure dust-free exhaust.
- The filter is washable 1000 times!
- It has a Unique UV-C sterilizing lamp
The UV-C sterilizing lamp kills 99.9% percent of bacteria and helps eradicate dust mites and germs.
- Double vibrating pads, assist in the release of dust mites which are hooked into your mattress, pillows and other soft furnishings so that they can be permanently vacuumed away.
- Micro allergy filtration: effectively removes dust mites, their feces and the bacteria that grow on it.
- EFFECTIVELY ELIMINATES DUST MITES bacteria and viruses including H1N1 Swine Flu and bird flu viruses for reduced allergies and a healthier home.
- Lightweight and easy to use!
With a Raycop as your primary tool to eliminate dust mites, may you merit to breathe more freely, easily, safely and healthfully! Choref bari!